- The State is a monopoly that initiates force under the pretense of governing
- The State compels obedience on matters far beyond the scope of legitimate government
- The State uses threats of violence to extort submission
- The State uses actual violence to harm people who resist its dictates
All of this is crime, not governance.
You will avoid contradictory thinking if you distinguish between government and The State.
- Governing is a service that protects your rights by only using force defensively
- But The State initiates force in nearly everything it does, and is therefore NOT a government
- This constant use of initiated force means that The State is really an organized criminal gang
There is a long habit of NOT thinking about The State in this way, but we must stop using a double standard. We must come to judge The State by the same moral principles we apply to all other human institutions.
Share this mini-article on social networks. Join ZAP by subscribing to our informative email newsletter, using the free subscription form below.