Everyone seeks to increase their happiness. That’s why people…
- Don’t want their stuff stolen or vandalized.
- Don’t want to be injured or killed.
- Move away from harm and towards pleasure.
Happiness is a primary human goal.
But some may object…
- “Not everyone is happy.” Of course not, but even unhappy people seek happiness over harm.
- “There are other motivations besides happiness.” Perhaps, but those other motivations don’t have the aim of making the seeker less happy.
- “People often act against their own happiness.” So what? People make mistakes. Such mistakes don’t negate happiness as a prime human goal.
It’s wrong to think that others don’t want happiness just because their choices would make you unhappy. Different people are made happy by different things.
Think about what makes you happy? Then ask yourself…
- Are you happier when your conscience is violated?
- Does your joy increase when your choices get restricted or removed?
Well, what is true for you is also true for other people…
- My happiness is important in the same way yours is.
- Our neighbor’s happiness is just as valuable to him or her.
Politics is an anti-empathetic assault on happiness.
Using threats of violence to make others obey your preferences makes them less happy. Please realize…
If you can use The State to impose your preferences on others, others can do the same to you, and thereby damage your happiness too.